Saturday, February 19, 2011

HBC & JIL in a nutshell

We all know the story of Helena Bonham Carter. She was born in London, on May 26th, 1966, officially making her zodiac sign, a gemini.  She did not recieve formal training as an actress. Although, at 12 years of age, she began taking weekend theater classes. She entered a poetry contest that she won and used the money 'for her entry into the actors directory, Spotlight.' [1]

She aspired to be an actress since a very young age, but she was also very focused on education. By the age of 9 she was already a top student in her school. By the 1970's, when hippies were pronouncing love, peace and drugs; Helena remained 'sheltered,' soley focused on school, responsibilities at home and her dream of becoming an actress. 

After she made her first commercial appearance, she chose to follow her actress training through 'formal' schooling, in which she entered a university. She later applied for King's College, in Cambridge. And even though her test scores were high enough, she was 'denied' access due to the school's fear that she would leave to 'pursue her acting career'. [1] Being rejected allowed her to choose to follow a new path to becoming an actress, which sky-rocketed her to become one of the most popular and well-known actresses across the world. She fluently speaks French and is obviously brilliant!

At the age of 44, she has already acted in over 50 film productions, including Harry Potter, Sweeney Todd and Fight Club. In 2001, while filming Planet of the Apes, director, Tim Burton met the lovely Helena Bonham Carter and their relationship began. HBC and Tim currently live in separate apartments with a 'connecting doorway' [1] and have two children; a boy and a girl. As I recall reading, two reasons that they live in separate living quarters, is due to Tim's insomnia and also HBC's non-stop chatting. There are probably other reasons, but I personally like the idea of living in separate living arrangements and I think it's helped keep Tim and HBC's relationship stronger.

Helena has referred to herself as being the 'antichrist of fashion,' and is known for remaining in 'character' when she's out in public, but it's her lack of fashion that makes her style so unique and original. No matter how "fashion-sense-less" she may be, she still always looks stunning and attractive; likewise, she has even started her own line of clothing. Take that, you fashion critics!

Ok, ok, so now that I have given a short summary of Hbc's life, I'm sure you're all wondering what the point of this blog is...Well maybe you aren't... You likely know who HBC is though, hopefully. Either way, now that I have explained to those of you who don't know or who've forgotten who Helena Bonham Carter is, I am going to tell you a bit about myself.

The first thing you need to know, I have a bit of an obsession with sexy villainesses.

We've all seen the Harry Potter series; and if you haven't, you need to get out of the hole you're living in and join the rest of us here on earth. Anyways, it was on Harry Potter where I first set eyes on the facsinating, frightening and sexy, Bellatrix Lestrange. I wasn't completely enthralled by her until I saw part one of HP and the Deathly Hallows. It was then, in Novemeber 2010, when I became completely fascinated with Bellatrix. As I began gathering information about this actress, I quickly learned that it was she, HBC, who was Tim Burton's significant other and had played on Tim's most recent film, Alice in Wonderland. Not only played a significant role in the film, but it was yet again, a villainess role.

The more I learned about HBC the more incredible she became, and no longer as just a villainess, but as a person in everyday life. Not only is she completely eccentric, but she is also very down to earth and humble, as far as I can tell.

It wasn't until recently that I realized she is a gemini. I, too, am a gemini. Gemini's are interesting because they have a lot of particular traits that set them apart from any other zodiac sign. Gemini's are very two-sided. I came across a web page that gave the definition of a gemini, and I think it fits HBC and myself, perfectly:

'Gemini is an energetic, charismatic, communicative, witty individual  with a child-like fascination with the world and with new experiences.'[2] 'The Gemini personality stands out as the zodiac sign that knows something  about just about everything, making them good conversationalists and interesting acquaintances.  They are inquisitive and quick to digest new information and ideas.  Intelligent and logical, but with a lot of nervous energy, Gemini likes to keep busy and expand their horizons whenever opportunities arise.'[2]

Her clothing style impressed me. She was doing something most of the world was afraid to do; to be herself.
Her refusal to listen to the media and others about her clothing style has made me love her even more! I used to walk out of my house wearing pj's and slippers, people often told me I looked like a bum and I even had friends who stated that they were trying to get me on the hit tv show; What Not To Wear. The thing is, I just didn't care what people thought. The more I learned of HBC, the more I wanted to be like her. My own sense of style changed. Now, instead of looking like a hobo, I have challenged myself to walk out of the house in clothes that may still be shabby, or outlandish, but they are what allow me to be myself. And they are bizarre and allow me to be 'different.' Although, I have taken interest in HBC's fashion, or lack of. I do not copy her wardrobe. As much as I love her, I am not her and would rather make my own mark in the world, as myself.

I definitely hate being 'normal'. I am one who roots for the underdog and I aspire to be the someone who is unlike anybody else. Maybe this was what was so captivating about Helena. She's not your typical movie star; she's not your typical human being.

1-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Bonham_Carter
2-http://www.mysticalblaze.com/AstrologyGemini.htm
http://www.exposay.com/helena-bonham-carter-says-shes-the-antichrist-of-fashion/v/5588/

-Jennifer Indigo Lazyryn

No comments:

Post a Comment